it all started with these blocks:
well, i guess before that, it started with a box of 1930s repro prints. for a while, back in the early 2000s, i collected these 30s prints, charmed by tiny vintage animals and the lovely colors. i made a handful of quilts using them, but still didn't really make a dent in my stash.
after making one large and one medium sized quilt last year using up more of the stash, i was still left with fabric i just couldn't part with.
during the summer, while looking for a certain pattern, i came across the paper pieced pattern for a wonky log cabin block, and i decided this would be a great way to use up the rest of my 30s prints!
i cut strips, and sewed blocks, cut more strips and sewed more blocks until i had 49 blocks. at 6" finished, that adds up to a 42" square quilt, the perfect size for a baby quilt.
i used bigger pieces of 30s prints from my stash to piece a backing, basted the quilt, and then came the quilting.
i quilted this on my new Brother 1500S the first weekend i had it. i decided to be brave and give feathers a go, finally, after practicing drawing them on paper, or on my Kindle Fire, for ages.
it took a while to quilt the whole thing - maybe four hours or more, and it's not perfect by any means, but i love how it turned out!
you can't see the quilting well in the pictures, sadly, and in the pictures it hasn't yet been washed and dried, so you don't see "crinkle" either.
i adore this quilt, and it's destined as a very special gift in the future. it's a great lesson for me as well to take risks and not to avoid trying something new out of fear. i could have gone forever without sucking it up and trying FMQ feathers, but i'm so glad i conquered the fear and gave it a try! i see more feathers in my future!