Saturday, April 27, 2013

Friday Finishes (A Day Late!)

earlier in the week i promised photos of the two quilts i finished in the past two weeks.

the first finish was a tumbler lap quilt made from a charm pack of A Stitch in Color, with a couple of FQ and one half yard of three prints from the line.

A Stitch in Color Tumbler Quilt

originally, i intended to make a pillow cover from the charms after i used my Sizzix Big Shot to cut my charm pack into tumblers.  but once i got the tumblers stitched together, i found it to be not really to my taste.  fortunately i'd grabbed two coordinating FQs and one half yard to use for the back of the pillow cover!  i used these to piece three borders around the tumbler section to get a 40" square quilt, which is a good size for either a baby quilt or a wheelchair lap quilt. best of all, i dug into my stash for the backing fabric and binding!

i took advantage of the fact that i'm not keeping this to have some fun with some quilting designs i'd not tried before.

in the innermost border i used a wishbone pattern.  fun, but definitely wonky!

A Stitch in Color Tumbler Lap Quilt

in the middle border i used a wavy back and forth line.  a bit wonky, but i was not exactly focused on precision by this point!

A Stitch in Color Tumbler Lap Quilt

in the outer border i did pebbles, a good old standby!

the center tumbler area was quilted with a much smaller meander than i've done before, which i quite like.

A Stitch in Color Tumbler Lap Quilt

my second finish was a quilt that from start to finish was destined as a charity quilt.  after a charity sew in for the Houston Modern Quilt Guild last year i ended up with a set of 6 FQs from a line called Bon Vivant donated by fellow member and friend Frieda.  i intended to stitch them into a quilt right away, but time got away from me, and the fabric took up residence in my fabric china cabinet.

i pulled the FQs out and packed them to take to Stash Bash in Georgia in early April and, with a bit of consultation, decided on a disappearing nine patch,  i did need one more fabric, but Beth of Stash Fabrics had come to the retreat, bringing lots of fabric to purchase!  Jacey helped me pick the darker blue solid, a choice i'd never have made on my own!

Disappearing Nine Patch - Front

i dug into my stash and found yardage to use for the backing, together with a strip made out of the scraps from the Bon Vivant FQs.  i also pulled from stash for the binding.

Disappearing Nine Patch - Back

this quilt also finished at approximately 40" x 40" and i quilted it with a loopy meander.

No comments: