Wednesday, February 13, 2013
i'd seen and hear about x & + blocks for months. i've had them on my to-do list. and finally i decided to make one, because i stumble across a scrap of elephant fabric that i just knew would be perfect in one.
and so it began. soon after, a second had been completed:
early the next morning, these two had become four:
and four became six:
and all of a sudden i had sixteen:
actually, there are seventeen, because one's not in the picture! and i have the pieces for six more already cut out, too.
one good thing is that i calculated that for every nine blocks i make, i use up approximately one yard of fabric, so i've used almost four yards on these lovelies!
except for the unphotographed block and one oddball, i've used black and white prints for the "x" sections and solids for the corners of each "x". for the plus portions and the four cornerstones, i've pulled from my japanese scraps, other precious scraps, and whatever called my name from my stash!
i'd like to make a lap quilt out of these, at least 45"x 60", which would take 48 blocks, but i'll probably end up making it larger, since M really likes the blocks and that way we can both use it!