Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Modern Quilt Guild Habitat Challenge


please excuse the fuzzy iphone picture!

The Houston Modern Quilt Guild is participating in the Jay McCarrol Habitat Challenge. Our entries are due at our September meeting, on the 17th. Free Spirit, who generously provided the fabric to us, asked only that we pair the Habitat fabric with solids, so that the Habitat was showcased.

Based on the number of people we had participating, each person received a fat eighth, more or less, of each of eight fabrics from the Habitat line. Each person got the same fabrics, too.

At first, I didn't really love this line. Some of the prints I really liked, but others I was unsure about. In the end, I decided to make a zig zag quilt, and since I had only limited amounts of each fabric, I made the zigs and zags in each row a different print. I used the leftover bits to make a scrappy outer border, and ended up with a quilt top that measures approximately 40" square. All but the teensiest bits of the fabric were used!

Despite my initial hesitation, I love the finished product! Even M, who I was sure was going to declare it ugly, loves it! The funny thing is that my two favorite rows are the two he likes the least, and vice versa!

No comments: