Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Eat From the Pantry Challenge



Money Saving Mom and Life as Mom are hosting an Eat From the Pantry Challenge for the month of January. This was just the incentive I needed to keep myself out of the grocery stores and help us to eat from our abundant stores of food we have on hand. We have a crammed full refrigerator freezer, a very full upright freezer, an overloaded pantry, and an overflowing stand-alone cupboard. Yet I continue to buy more stuff every week!

During January (actually we started last Monday), we are going to challenge ourselves to eat what we have onhand. We will buy milk and produce to supplement what we have, but I'm planning on minimizing even that, as we have tons of healthy frozen vegetables on hand.

In order to help us to stay on track, I made out a menu plan. My menu features only dinners, as M can't take his lunch to work, and I generally just eat leftovers or a can of soup. He eats cereal for breakfast, and I rarely eat breakfast. My parents sent half of a whole roasted pork tenderloin home with us after Christmas, so I've searched for ways to use this up.

Week of December 28-January 4:
Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Pork tenderloin, green beans, mashed potatoes
Wednesday: Black bean and pork stew over rice
Thursday: Baked Potato Soup
Friday: M is deer hunting, so I'll just eat leftovers
Saturday: M is deerhunting, so I'll just eat leftovers
Sunday: Pork fried rice, wonton soup and eggrolls

Week of January 4-January 10
Monday: Chicken curry, jasmine rice, green beans
Tueday: Lasagna and broccoli
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: M has a dinner meeting, so I'll just fend for myself
Friday: Turkey tetrazini, broccoli
Saturday: Mediterranean beef kabobs, naan, greek yogurt dip, hummus
Sunday: Homemade pizza

Week of January 11-Janary 17
Monday: Gyros on naan, salad
Tuesday: Pork fried rice, wonton soup and eggrolls
Wednesday: Spaghetti with meat sauce, broccoli
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Eating out for Date Night
Saturday: Baked Potato Soup
Sunday: Sausage and Chicken Jambalaya

No comments: