Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Year in Review - 1st Quarter 2014

small finished objects - 1st Qtr 2014


finished quilts - 1st Qtr 2014

Back in January, I set goals for 2014 in the following categories: financial, health, home and quilting and sewing.

Here's the list of my quilting and sewing goals:

1.  learn to use my serger - for reals this year
2.  complete more of my WIPs, and acknowledge that it's okay to give away or discard projects i'll never finish!
3.  make at least 4 quilts for charity
4.  participate in Feathers QAL and finish quilt promptly
5.  keep using the fabric i have instead of purchasing more, and limit new purchases (basic solids purchases are okay, but try to keep other fabric purchases down to less than 2 yds per month
6.  continue with the garment sewing and use up the garment fabric i've already purchased
7. make a quilt with my hoarded jay mccarroll fabrics

So, how am I doing so far?

#1 - ummm, no serger attempts yet!

#2 - making progress, as I finished two WIPS from 2013 and two from pre-2013, and I even gave away one WIP plus all of the coordinating fabric!

#3 - one done, so i'm on track with this goal

#4 - I got my Feathers quilt top done in time to be entered for prizes in the QAL a few weeks ago.  Now I'm trying to decide how to quilt it!  I'd like to decide and then get the quilt finished by the end of April!

#5 - I've been using stash, but I've also made some purchases.  I got some really good steals at Jo-Ann recently so I bought a lot to use for backings for charity quilts.  That purchase pushed me over my goal of 24 yards total purchases for the year.  I'm realizing that that's just not a reasonable goal, so I'm modifying the goal for acquired fabric to be less than one-fourth of the fabric used during the year.

#6 - haven't made any garments yet this year.  I did see that someone is bringing a serger to Stash Bash at the end of the month, so I think I'll take the pieces for a skirt I've been wanting to make for AGES, but which has ruffles down the front which require a rolled hem!

#7 - I haven't made a whole quilt using my hoarded Jay McCarroll fabrics, but I did use up two large pieces in the backing for my Catvent quilt. 

Overall, I'm pleased with my progress so far this year.  Now let's see what I can accomplish in the 2nd quarter of 2014!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed that you have managed to finish 6 quilts and umpteen small projects in only 3 months, you go girl!