Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Easy Peasy Dinner

Today I used a recipe for Taco Soup made in the crockpot. I modified the recipe a bit. Last night I browned 1 lb of ground beef. This morning I tossed the ground beef into the crockpot with about a cup or so of leftover frozen corn, 2 cans ranchstyle beans, 1 can tomatoes and green chilies, 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, one package of ranch dressing mix, one package of taco seasoning mix and about 10 ounces of water. I cooked the soup on low for about 8 hours while I was at work, weight training, and then CVSing. I put some grated cheese and a dollop of sourcream on my soup. M added grated cheese and crunched up tortilla chips. Verdict - I thought it was fantastic, but M would like fewer beans in his next time. Definitely a keeper recipe! We each ate two large bowls, and I have enough left for lunch tomorrow and Friday for myself. All for roughly $5, using coupons. It was $1 for ground beef on sale, the corn was free with coupon, ranch style beans .65 each, diced tomatoes and green chilies .59, fire-roasted tomatoes .40 with coupon, taco seasoning .34, and maybe .50 for the cheese and sour cream, totaling $3.83. I'm not sure about the cost of the ranch dressing packet as I had it in my pantry, and have no idea when or for how much I bought it.

I highly recommend this recipe for an easy meal for a cold evening.

No comments: